Tell us about your day?
• Our wedding day was exactly what we had hoped for. The weather was brisk, Edinburgh Castle was warm and cozy, and we felt full of love and laughter. We were so touched that our friends and family made the journey from the United States and loved Scotland as much as we do! We wrote the ceremony ourselves and everything felt very personal and very “us.”
Where did you find inspiration for your wedding?
• We loved the idea of having a cozy and elegant winter wedding with lots of candles. We knew we wanted a smaller, more relaxed wedding to let the conversations flow and ensure a fun time for all. The blog http://www.wefellinlove.co.uk/blog/ was a huge help as we planned our wedding virtually!
Why did you choose your venue?
• The castle is simply magical. The Queen Anne Building was perfect for our vision and the castle staff (and our florist) transformed it with lots of candles and beautiful décor. We think it is such a beautiful place to hold a winter wedding. It was very hard to leave at the end of the night!
Why did to choose to have a video of your day?
• We knew the day would fly by and it would be so lovely to have a way to look back on the words, looks, and emotions. Once we saw John’s work we knew he was the videographer for us.
What was your favourite part in your highlight film?
• This is a terrible question—the whole thing is amazing! If we HAD to choose, probably the last 20 seconds or so, starting at 4:53. We took a few moments outside to feel the grandeur of the castle and the magnitude of what we just did. Plus we met those crazy kids who wanted to take a photo with us and made us feel like celebrities!
Any tips for future Brides and Grooms?
• Plan the wedding you want and above all, have a good time! Weddings shouldn’t be stressful – they should be about celebrating and bringing people together. And dancing.
Ceremony Venue: Queen Anne Building, Edinburgh Castle
- We can’t say enough nice things about Lynn Paddock, the Event Sales Manager and overall genius of castle events. Apart from being a kind and hilarious person, she is extremely detail-oriented and on top of everything. She helped us plan the wedding virtually and took great care of us on the wedding day. We couldn’t have planned it without her!
Reception Venue: same
Celebrant/Minister/Priest: Our wedding party
- Since we got legally married a few days before our Scottish ceremony, we chose to write our own ceremony and asked our wedding party to perform it.
Photographer: Zoe Campbell Photography http://www.zoecampbellphotography.com/
- Zoe and her second shooter Naomi McDouall were absolutely wonderful. They captured the day perfectly and our photos are breathtaking. Zoe has such an eye for finding the perfect shot and she has a relaxed, intimate style that makes the photos come alive. We wish she lived closer so we could ask her to do all our future photography!
Make up: LG Makeup http://www.lgmakeup.co.uk/
- Lucy is so talented and did a lovely natural look on Hayley and her mom.
Ceremony music: Jennifer Port, harpist http://www.jenniferport.co.uk/
Band: Ryan (the groom) created the playlist
Flowers: Planet Flowers www.planetflowers.co.uk
- Suzanne Miller at Planet Flowers understood our (admittedly vague) vision of candles and simple flowers perfectly and made our reception space feel elegant but not fussy. The bouquets of gypsophila they made were exactly what Hayley pictured.
Reception venue decoration: Planet Flowers/Edinburgh Castle
Bride’s Dress: ‘Bambu’ by Rosa Clara, http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/weddings-rosa-clara-lookbook
Bridesmaids’ Dresses: various
Wedding Car: Avant Garde Hire: http://www.avantgardehire.com/
Cupcakes: Liggy’s Cakes